Home :: Creating a Safe and Healthy Workplace :: SHAPE
Safety & Health Award for Public Employers (SHAPE)
Defer Scheduled Safety Inspections and Have Your Workplace Recognized for Excellence in Safety and Health Management
The Safety and Health Award for Public Employers (SHAPE) recognizes public sector employers who maintain an exemplary safety and health management system. Acceptance into SHAPE by the Maine Department of Labor, Bureau of Labor Standards is an achievement that distinguishes your organization as a model for workplace safety and health. Upon receiving SHAPE recognition, your worksite will be exempt from programmed inspections during the period your SHAPE certification is valid.
To Participate in SHAPE, You Must:
- Request a consultation visit that involves a complete hazard identification survey;
- Involve employees in the consultation process;
- Correct all hazards identified by the consultant;
- Implement and maintain a safety and health management system that, at a minimum, addessess the Self-Assessment Form Guidelines;
- Lower your company's Lost Workday Injury and Illness Rate (LWDII) and Total Recordable Case Rate (TRCR) below the state average; and
- Agree to notify the Workplace Safety and Health Division prior to making any changes in the working conditions or introducing new hazards into the workplace.
SHAPE Certification and Inspection Exemption
After you satisfy all SHAPE requirements, the Workplace Safety & Health Division Program Manager may recommend your worksite for final SHAPE approval and certification. The Division will formally recognize your worksite at a SHAPE awards ceremony.
Develop a self-sustaining health and safety management system and participate in SHAPE. It's a win-win proposition. For more information, contact SafetyWorks! toll-free at 1-877-SAFE-345 (1-877-7233-345). (e-mail: email@example.com)